Property taxes are payable four times per year in the Municipality of South Huron. The annual due dates are the 15th day of March, June, September and November. Although there are four installments per year, tax bills are issued only twice per year. Interim Tax Notices are mailed out the latter part of February, and include the March and June installments, while Final Tax Notices are mailed the latter part of August, and include the September and November installments. Tax arrears are subject to a penalty charge of 1.25% on the first day of default, as well as 1.25% on the first day of each month thereafter.
Change of Ownership or Address Information
If the property has changed ownership, please forward the tax bill to your lawyer to pass along to the new owner or return it to the Tax Office. To prevent misdirected tax bills, please advise the Tax Office in writing of mailing address changes. Failure to redirect tax bills could still result in penalty and interest charges applied to accounts.
For a copy of the Pre-Authorized Payment Form, click here.
Payment can be made the following ways:
- In person at the Municipal Office at 322 Main St. Exeter (the Olde Town Hall) Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Accepted forms of payment include cash, cheque, or debit. A locked drop box is located near the front door for after hours use.
- At Your Bank – payment can be made at any bank. You must have your payment stub with you, clearly identifying your property tax roll number.
- By Mail – by cheque made payable to the Municipality of South Huron, 322 Main St S, Box 759, Exeter, ON N0M 1S6. Post-dated cheques are welcome. Please indicate your property roll number on your cheque or attach the payment stub with your payment. This number identifies your property.
- By Telephone/Internet – Telephone and Internet payment options are also available through most financial institutions for tax and utility payments only. Your property tax account is the roll number identified on your tax bill.
- Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Application - forms to enroll are available at the Municipal Office, South Huron website, or can be mailed upon request. We also require a void cheque be returned with the completed application. Two plans are available. Installment Due Date and Monthly. For those choosing the monthly plan, arrangements can only be made by contacting the tax department at (519) 235-0310 ext. 232.
If you have any questions regarding your tax billings, or payment options, please contact the Tax Department at (519) 235-0310 (1-877-204-0747 toll free from 519 area) ext. 232
Commercial/Industrial Property Owners Vacancy Rebate Applications
A reminder that applications must be received no later than February 28th of each year, for the previous taxation year, where buildings were entirely or partially vacant for a period of 90 (consecutive) days and mandatory criteria are met. Application forms are available at the Municipal Office. Please be aware that unless requested these forms are not mailed out. Applications must be filed annually.
Important Note: The deadline to file a Request for Reconsideration is April 1st of each year, these requests must be filed annually.