Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licence application forms may be picked up at the Municipal Office or by downloading the application here.  Please complete the application and bring it with you to the Municipal Clerk's Office. 

Please make arrangements with the municipal office to set up a suitable time if you require a marriage license.

Requirements for Marriage Licence

The fee to obtain a Marriage Licence is currently $120.00, cash or debit.

Who May Marry

Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry.  No person under 16 years of age may marry.  Any persons who is 16 or 17 years of age may marry with the written consent of his/her parents or legal guardians.  A special consent form is available from the Municipal Office.

A person who has been divorced or annulled will require:

  • If the marriage was dissolved in Canada, the original or court-certified copy of the final decree or certificate of divorce
  • If the marriage was dissolved outside of Canada, the authorization of the Minister of Consumer and Business Services. Authorization may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON  P7B 6L8.  Information may be obtained from the Municipality.

Marriage Licence Requirements

  • A marriage licence may be obtained from the issuer of Marriage Licences at the Municipal Office.
  • At least one party to the proposed marriage must apply in person. The application must be signed by both applicants.
  • If one or both persons was previously married, and subsequently divorced in Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted.
  • There are no residency or citizenship requirements to marry in the Province of Ontario.
  • Each partner must submit 2 pieces of government-issued identification. One piece of identifcation must include your photo. Examples of government issued identification:
    • Birth Certificate
    • Valid Passport
    • Valid Driver's Licence
    • Valid Ontario Photo Card
    • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
    • Record of immigrant landing
  • A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario. The licence expires three months after the date of issue.

Civil Ceremony

The Municipality of South Huron offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies.

After the Marriage Ceremony

You may apply for a marriage certificate from Service Ontario six to eight weeks after your marriage ceremony. There are two ways to apply: